‘Dangerous’ Primark candle photo goes viral

Jenny Ferneyhough bought the Christmas candle at a Primark in Manchester. Pic. Facebook

By Bethany Minelle, News Reporter

A Manchester mum has shared a snap of a Christmas tree candle burning uncontrollably in a bid to warn others of the potential fire hazard.

Jenny Ferneyhough posted a before and after picture on her Facebook page, showing the £5 Primark candle when she first lit it, and another of the candle that had burned halfway down.

With fire across the entire top surface of the pillar, the flames appear to have grown to a height to such an extent they dwarf the remaining half of the candle.

Primark say they have ceased all production of the flip flops and and an investigation has been launched
Primark say they have removed the candle from sale and are investigating the matter

Warning others of the danger, Ms Ferneyhough wrote: "This is a candle I bought in Primark Manchester for £5 on Saturday. I am concerned that it poses a risk to the safety of anyone who owns one, and I have emailed Primark suggesting they recall them.

"In the meantime, I would be grateful if we could spread the word so that no one is put at risk by this. #primark".

Her snaps of the white and silver Xmas candle bursting into flames soon went viral, with her post shared over 250,000 times.

Ms Ferneyhough said that while the candle burned normally for a couple of hours, it then started to burn right across the top.

She said: "We were monitoring it but it got to the point where it was dangerous and we thought we should post a picture of it because we thought 'this is serious now'.

"We just thought people should know that if you left it it could be dangerous, especially if it's around other Christmas decorations or cards."

On their website Primark caution customers not to leave a burning candle unattended
On their website Primark caution customers not to leave a burning candle unattended

Primark have since removed the product from sale and say they are investigating the matter.

A spokesman for the discount chain said: "We take the safety of our customers and quality of our products very seriously.

"We are removing the product from sale while we investigate this complaint as a matter of urgency."

On the Primark website, in a customer service section entitled "Candle Care", Primark have posted an image of the information stickers they say should be on the bottom of each candle.

More from Manchester

  • Manchester bombing 'might have been averted'

  • 10,000 forensic tests 'may have been manipulated'

  • Police probe child abduction reports at fireworks display in Manchester

  • Gangster Tommy Adams jailed for seven years for money laundering

  • Boy critical after fall from bridge at Trafford Centre in Manchester

  • Man charged with murder after mass brawl in Manchester

They ask: "Please take the time to read and understand all labels to prevent accidental fires".

The cautionary warnings include never leaving a candle unattended, placing the candle in a draught free area and not burning the candle on or near anything that can catch fire.

More stories

  • Previous article Primark among 260 employers 'shamed' on pay by HMRC
  • Next article Brexit: UK finance firms near 'point of no return'

Source –

Leave a Comment