World

Kabul hotel siege leaves 6 civilians, 5 gunmen dead; Taliban claims responsibility

intercontinental-kabul-01-epa-jrl-180120_12x5_992

Kabul hotel siege leaves 6 civilians, 5 gunmen dead; Taliban claims responsibility

PlayJawad Jalai/EPA

WATCH Gunmen storm luxury hotel in Kabul

At least six civilians and five gunmen are dead following an 11-hour siege Saturday of the Intercontinental Hotel in Afghanistan's capital of Kabul, according to the country's interior ministry.

Interested in Afghanistan?

Add Afghanistan as an interest to stay up to date on the latest Afghanistan news, video, and analysis from ABC News. Afghanistan Add Interest

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. The terror group's spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the insurgents initially planned to attack the hotel Thursday night but postponed the assault because there was a wedding underway and they wanted to avoid civilian casualties.

Ministry spokesman Najib Danish told ABC News that six people were also injured: three police officers and three civilians.

PHOTO: An Afghan security force keeps watch near the site of an attack on the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul, Afghanistan Jan. 20, 2018.Mohammad Ismail/Reuters
An Afghan security force keeps watch near the site of an attack on the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul, Afghanistan Jan. 20, 2018.

Following the siege, Afghan special forces searched room-by-room to ensure that all of the attackers had been accounted for.

Danish said 153 hotel guests and staff, including 8 foreigners, were rescued.

An official at the U.S. Department of State told ABC News they “are monitoring the situation and are in contact with local authorities to determine if any U.S. citizens have been affected.”

nullnull
Smokes rises from the Intercontinental Hotel after an attack in Kabul, Afghanistan, Sunday, Jan. 21, 2018. Gunmen stormed the hotel in the Afghan capital on Saturday evening, triggering a shootout with security forces, officials said. (AP Photo/RahmaThe Associated Press
Smokes rises from the Intercontinental Hotel after an attack in Kabul, Afghanistan, Sunday, Jan. 21, 2018. Gunmen stormed the hotel in the Afghan capital on Saturday evening, triggering a shootout with security forces, officials said. (AP Photo/Rahma

The U.S. Embassy in Kabul issued a security alert Saturday, saying a "series of explosions" erupted at the Intercontinental Hotel around 9 p.m. local time.

"The attack is reported to be ongoing at this time. Afghan authorities have announced they are reacting to the incident and a heightened police presence throughout the city is expected," the embassy stated.

The U.S. Embassy in Kabul had issued a previous security alert Thursday, saying it was "aware of reports that extremist groups may be planning an attack against hotels" in the capital city.

ABC News' Conor Finnegan contributed to this report.

  • Star

Add Interests Customize your news feed by choosing the topics that interest you.

To save your interests across all devices Log In or Sign Up &raquo
Source – abcnews.go.com

Leave a Comment